Q: What qualities do you think mark the highest artistic achievement?
A: If I may speak in the most general terms, several qualities come to mind that, for me, mark real artistic achievement:
- firm artistic control that allows the artist to create works that simultaneously demonstrate formal coherence while responding to inner necessity
- the creation of new forms and techniques that are adapted to expressing the artist’s highly personal vision
- an authentic and balanced fusion of form, method, and idea
- using material from one’s own idiosyncratic experiences and subtly transforming it in a personal inimitable way during the creative process
- the meaning of the thing created is rigorously subordinated to its design, which once established, generates its own internal principles of harmony and coherence
Comments are welcome!
Posted on August 13, 2016, in Uncategorized and tagged achievement, adapted, allows, artist, artistic, authentic, balanced, coherence, control, create, created, creation, creative, demonstrate, design, during, established, experiences, expressing, formal coherence, fusion, general, generates, harmony, highly, idiosyncratic, inimitable, inner, internal, material, meaning, method, necessity, personal, principles, process, qualities, responding, rigorously, several, simultaneously, Studio, subordinated, subtly, techniques, transforming, using, vision. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Q: What qualities do you think mark the highest artistic achievement?.